Margaret (1915-2004) and Matilda Roumania Peters (1917-2003) were doubles champion tennis stars from the late 1930s through the early 1950s. The Peters sisters grew up in the Georgetown district of Washington, D.C. and attended Tuskegee Institute in 1937. The girls were nicknamed "Pete and Repeat" for their last name and their playing skills.
Segregation laws did not allow African Americans to compete against white players. The sisters played in the American Tennis Association (ATA), which was specifically created to give African Americans an opportunity to play tennis competitively. After graduating from college in 1942, the Peters Sisters continued to play in the ATA. They won 14 Doubles titles between 1938 and 1953, and were inducted into the Tuskegee Hall of Fame in 1977.